Friday, May 17, 2013

Thinking About Warriors...

In my estimation, when talking about warriors, there are two very distinct groups of warriors.

One warrior is the kind who fights a physical enemy, the one who can harm and kill our physical bodies.  The second warrior is the one who fights on a more spiritual plane.  This is the warrior who steps in to stand between Heavenly Father’s children and the forces of Satan who wish to tear us down. 

The first kind of warrior is the typical image we think of when we hear the word ‘warrior’.  The Navy SEAL, the Green Beret, the fighter pilot, the police officer, etc.  His job is two-fold, to bring ultimate destruction to his enemy and to do all he can to protect his own people.  This warrior goes out to fight so that others don’t have too.  He is the main force standing between the threats to his country and those he loves at home.  He will sacrifice his physical body so that others don’t have to experience pain.

“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” – George Orwell

The second warrior is one who is a bit less recognizable and we often don’t really think about his role as a warrior.  He’s the husband, the father, the church leader, the friend.  While he does not always sacrifice physical harm, he still stands in harm’s way.  He protects his home, family, friends and neighbors from the spiritual attacks on morality, goodness and righteousness.  He gives of time, means and heart to bring down the forces of the common adversary of all mankind.  His goal and objective is not physical destruction, but of protection, fortification, teaching and of seeking out the bastions of the evil one and tearing his fortress’ down with truth and light.  This warriors weapon is the word of God (Revelation 12:11) and the power of the Holy Ghost.

It occurred to me this morning that both warriors serve each other in a very unique way. Both warriors fight very real enemies, they just fight on different planes with different tools, but they use similar tactics and methods.

It is generally agreed that the first kind of warrior provides a very important service to society.  He is the physical protector for all of us.  He is the 1% that stands between our civilization and those who would seek to destroy, enslave and take.  He stands ready to make the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.  He sheds his blood that we may be free.

In light of that, it dawned on me that in my role as the second kind of warrior, it is my duty to honor the first kind of warrior by being the best kind of person that I can be and to lead my family and those I have influence over to do the same.  It is my obligation to do this to serve my brother (the first kind of warrior) who is willing to physically sacrifice his life for my freedom, a worthy and valiant sacrifice. 

Try to imagine that you are standing face to face with a Navy SEAL who is mortally wounded and dying from doing his duty…to protect you, your family and your freedom…wouldn’t you want to be able to look him in the eye and tell him that his sacrifice was worth it because YOU and your family are living the best possible life you can? 

Personally I’d want him to know that we worked hard, that we didn’t squander our time, that we were honest and that we did what we could to make our corner of the world a better place.  I’d want him to know that the freedom that he fought to protect was being put to work to make life better for all around me.

I’d want him to know that I was being a warrior in my daily life, maximizing that freedom and teaching my family the same.  I would be ashamed to look into his dying eyes and say “sorry, I just didn’t have the time to do anything because I was busy playing video games”, or watching funny videos on YouTube, or whatever your favorite time waster is.  (It’s OK to recreate, but by definition recreation is to be an occasional break from life, not the reason for living it…)

Our elder brother and warrior, Jesus Christ (Exodus 15:3 “The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name”), shed his blood for us that we might be free. Free from both spiritual and physical bondage and death.  He died to give us a better chance at eternity and life eternal.  Like a true warrior, he paid the ultimate price to give us opportunity to return to our Father and stand before the Judgment Bar, to look him in the eye, and say “I did the best I knew how.  I worked hard to live the best life I could.” 

Will you be able to look your Savior in the eye and tell him that? Will you live the life of a Righteous Warrior here and now, and arise from the dust to be REAL MEN?

Will you do it without FEAR or WHINING or REGRETS?

Start today and MAN UP!

“Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering” – Theodore Roosevelt

NO FEAR – NO WHINING – NO REGRETS


No comments:

Post a Comment